Tuesday, February 16, 2010

what a trip

Hi again, this is Gina. We are home- the trip was way to short, the snow delay didn't help either!! We operated on 27 people all together. Some with moderate wounds, many with large gaping wounds that needed to be cleaned out and sewed together. I think what we did was a drop in the bucket but at least it was something. I hope that we did make a difference in these peoples lives not only medically but also emotionally. It must help in some way for them to know that people do care.
Haiti is a mess.. it will take years and years to fix the country if ever and many of these people will not get the medical care, food or water that they need. The rainy season is coming- the tented cities that thousands are staying in are just that - tents , some made out of plastic most made of cotton sheets. People will not have protection from the torrential rains and storms that are coming. So sad. Living conditions are going to get worse.. I hope people do not forget the Haitians once this story is not in the media. Doctors, nurses and volunteers are needed desperately. The group that ran the hospital that we worked and stayed in is called the International Medical Alliance. They were amazing We will go back . If anyone knows of medical professionals or would like to give a donation, please contact the IMA. If you have questions you can email me directly at geegeelalla@aol.com. The IMA's web site is www.imaonline.org.. They say that 100 percent of donations go directly to the Haitian people and running the hospital, I believe them and have witnessed first had how amazing this organization is.
After the incredible work I have seen people doing in Haiti- I have a renewed faith in humanity. Every volunteer I came across went above and beyond to be kind and help people in desperate need of help. I cannot describe the respect I feel for the Haitian people. In these terrible times they are holding their heads high are polite and proud.
Our family and friends were nervous that we were going to be in danger in Haiti and many did not want us to go. I think that the media played this up. I am sure there are dangerous areas- as there are in all countries- but we did not feel threaten or that we were in danger at all. The Haitians understood that we were there to help and were very happy to have us in their country.
One last thought- I feel so grateful for everything that we have in this country. WE ARE VERY LUCKY. A trip like this puts life into perspective. Please appreciate what we have!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment